Friday 24 August 2018

I accept the challenge.......with knees knocking

In June, I titled a blog "Where there's a will, there's a way" (link) where one of my Maori learner's successfully gained 7 credits all at MERIT level within a week.  She had achieved her predetermined goal. Through a Student Voice survey, she wrote that she wanted whanau support in the form of making sure she comes to school every day.

Well, a bad habit is like a warm bed.......easy to get into and difficult to get out of; this learner has reverted to her old ways of missing school..........many many many days of school. Dean and tutor teacher interventions have failed and as her maths teacher, I let it ride. I was AFRAID to make contact with her whanau about their child's attendance as I felt that I did not have the mana to challenge such a deep-rooted problem.

At the 2018 Manaiakalani Hui today a few people at my table, who have been following my blog CHALLENGED me to contact her whanau...............with knees knocking........I ACCEPTED the challenge. Come Monday, I will be contacting home whether the student is at school or not. Hopefully, my knocking knees will have settled by then.

I promise to blog the outcome of my conversation.....stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment